Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Remedial Child

Stella is my little remedial child. 
The ping pong ball bucket toppled over today, and I found it difficult to pick the ping pong balls up again.
Larry took Mindy, Elizabeth, and me to Miss Janet's for a jumping lesson. I worked Stella on the longe line for a long time, and then I finally got on her and started working. Stella alternated between silly and sane during our longe work, so I didn't have any idea of what to expect of her under saddle. She wasn't terrible, though--she just showed her slow side. 
We didn't do very much flatwork at all, which disappointed me. I enjoy doing lots of work on the flat to warm myself up and make sure the ping pong balls are secured in the bucket. It's also important for me to do lots of flatwork to assess my hip pain and determine whether I should jump or not. 
Janet started us over some ground poles. Easy enough, right? Stella decided to be the remedial child and spook at the poles. She wouldn't even walk over them at first. I had the horse jumping about two feet the other day, and she spooked at ground poles today! I think she was just being silly. That's just how Stella works sometimes. Stella and I had to work over ground poles long after Mindy and Elizabeth started jumping crossrails. 
Eventually, I got Stella to step over the poles and the crossrails, even though she was a little funny about going over them still. By the end of the lesson, we were popping over them pretty well, and it was a lot of fun. I wish Stella hadn't been so silly so that I could've gotten more out of the lesson, but it was okay. Larry says that he'll take us back to Janet's next weekend, which is great.
Tomorrow there is a 4-H meeting. I'm not sure if I'm going yet. I have to go back to school. I'm pretty excited about my classes; I can't wait to go back to riding at school. We have a quick orientation meeting on Monday, and our first lesson will be on Wednesday. I wonder which horse I'll get to ride first... I'll be sure to make an entry about our first ride. 

No comments: